Fast, Fun Facts About the Trucking Industry
- A fully-loaded truck can weigh up to 80,000 lb. or more – most cars only weigh about 3,000 lb.
- Trucks need the length of a football field to come to a full stop
- More than 9 million people are employed in the trucking industry – that's one out of every 14 U.S. jobs
- There are 3.2 million tractor-trailer drivers in the United States
- 78% of all freight carried in America goes by truck
- There are over 400,000 trucking companies in the U.S.
- In 2000, America's professional drivers drove 200 billion miles – enough for 1,000 round trips to the sun
- There are more than 36 million trucks in service in the U.S.
- 61% of trucking hauls are 100 miles or shorter
- Businesses choose trucks for 82¢ out of every dollar they spend on shipping
- In the 5-year period from 1998 through 2002, the size of the U.S. trucking market increased in value by 18.9% to a staggering $468.2 billion
Three-fourths of American communities depend solely on trucking for delivery of
goods and services