Fast, Fun Facts About the Trucking Industry
- A fully-loaded truck can weigh up to 80,000 lb. or more – most cars only weigh about 3,000 lb.
- Trucks need the length of a football field to come to a full stop
- In 2018 approximately 7.4 million people were employed by the trucking industry. That means about 5.8% of all American full-time workers had a job thanks to trucking.
- In 2017, the US trucking industry generated just over $700 billion.
- 78% of all freight carried in America goes by truck
- In 2017, trucks moved 10.8 billion tons of freight
- More than 40% of the jobs in the American trucking industry are held by minorities
- There are more than 36 million trucks in service in the U.S.
- 61% of trucking hauls are 100 miles or shorter
- The average professional long-haul trucker logs more than 100,000 miles per year
- Most grocery stores would run out of food in just three days if long-haul truckers stopped driving
- Three-fourths of American communities depend solely on trucking for delivery of
goods and services